I’m picking up a photography project that I let slide for a bit too long. I started a new job and put things like that on the back burner. After stressing for a while that I suddenly didn’t have any active projects, I started three on one weekend.
My previous projects have always been linear projects, usually presented in a book, where I’d create something or perform tasks, recording the results. I’ve always seen it as part-performance and part-documentary. For this new project I’m dealing with measurements, specifically the heaped teaspoon. I love this measurement because it’s less of an exact measure and more of a challenge; if a recipe asks for three heaped teaspoons then I like to try and really hard. To that end, I have been visiting my friends kitchens with my Bronica SQA and rolls of Velvia 120 and challenging myself to create the most impressive heaped teaspoons imaginable. Here is one example:
That’s 23 sugar cubes. I’ll also be photographing granulated sugar, to demonstrate which is better. There’s a few more photographs after the break.